Pages

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Christmas Present Love - Book: Chic on a Shoestring by Mary Jane Baxter

Continuing this week on the theme of Love I've decided to switch my focus to some Christmas present love! 

In previous years gone by I am sure my husband won't mind me saying that we've had a couple of hit and miss occasions when it comes to giving each other gifts! But as we grew to know and love each other I can hand on heart say that my husband is the most thoughtful gift buyer I've ever known!

For years I have been into all things 'shabby chic'! Whilst I am quickly falling out of love with that expression, along with the term 'vintage' as they are both widely over used and often in the wrong context - I am nowadays all about doing things the 'eco-chic' way! In days gone by I used to work for two luxury fashion houses (both based in London) - Mulberry and Tanner Krolle. Working in fashion meant I felt obliged to always look my best! Well if you could see me sitting here now (in Devon) writing my blog, you would see that my fashion days are far behind me!! But, I am very happy! My love of designer shoes has been replaced by wellies!!

I do however still like to keep my hand in wearing nice things and having nice items around our seaside home. Instead of spending all my salary on clothes, whilst mixing my wardrobe with sneaky pieces from big chain stores like Primark (who I later found out did at one point support child labour in India), I've decided to shift my focus towards being kinder to our planet. I've learnt over the years that looking nice and having a nice home doesn't need to cost the earth!

So in going back to the original purpose of my blog - my lovely husband bought be a fab book for Christmas that helps support my love fashion but also being able to support our planet.

Chic on a Shoestring by Mary Jane Baxter is one of the best and most creative books I have come across at presenting inspirational ideas of 'glamorising' either your existing wardrobe or key pieces that you might find in charity shops or your Nan's wardrobe!

The author Mary Jane Baxter presents great projects across recycled clothes, shoes, scraps of fabric, broken necklaces, buttons, old bits of wool and uses them to make things look great, individual and unique!

This was easily one of my best Christmas gifts (although there were many other good ones too) and has already caused me to hit the charity shops by storm in our local area to see what goodies I can get, to create my own and genuine vintage, eco-chic piece!

 Below are a selection of features from the book:



I am not sure where my husband bought my copy of the book from, although I have found a link on Amazon:


I am sure it is available from other good book retailers too like Waterstones.

Fully worth getting hold of a copy and if you do please enjoy exploring the world of using old materials and making something new!

If more people recycled and 'up-cycled' their clothing then over time we could lessen the demand on big fashion chains that support child labour.

Nice things definitely don't have to come at the cost of our planet and they don't have to cost you a fortune either!! I would say that's Happy Days!!

With Love From,

Sophi Snowflake xx


Images source: Amazon - visit the below link to purchase Chic on a Shoestring:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chic-Shoestring-Simple-Vintage-style-Accessories/dp/1856269817

No comments:

Post a Comment